Monday, June 28, 2010

Rushing Slowly in SK sweet

This is a concept on the island that I think I've adjusted to (at least as well as I'm going to be able to): rushing slowly. Last week we had our IST (In Service Training) and we addressed diplomacy and working relationships, and we each invited our counterparts. Now it's no secret that I've had my fair share of frustrations with some of the organizations I work with, to the point where I feel like giving up sometimes. So when Mavis told me that my counterparts had amazing things to say about me and the difference I've made, I was beyond pleasantly surprised. One of the things that stuck out during IST was about how the Peace Corps has longer term goals over a 5 year period. So even if we can't see a project completed within our two years here, doesn't mean that we haven't contributed to the larger picture.

If anybody remembers, during my earlier months here I had mentioned how I missed physical contact. I wasn't at the point of being close enough to anyone to hug them. I can now say that I have developed such close friendships on the island that I have my fair share of hugs now =) With all the EC78ers getting ready to leave soon, it's really hit me how I've already been here for ten months. But it also made me realize that in only a year, it will be me getting ready to leave. And it's going to be incredibly hard. I know I shouldn't right now, but I can't help think about how much I'm going to miss St. Kitts and my life here. I think we are part of a generation that loves choices but simultaneously hates choosing. I miss my friends and family, but when I leave I'm going to miss my friends and new family here.




This song makes me smile about being here, frustrations and all. This weekend was the St. Kitts Music Festival (which I didn't really get any pictures of unfortunately). I only went to 2 out of 3 nights, but I still had a great time and loved the experience. What was hillarious is when it started raining. At the smallest drop practically everyone ran for cover, which just completely captures how Kittitians react and don't go to work when it rains. I think the ultimate experience for me was standing and singing along despite the decently heavy rain. Because it's geared for tourists, this was one of the few events that actually starts on time. But the smaller bands were up first so most Kittitians didn't show up until a couple of hours later anyway.



I met a fellow diabetic and pump user on the island a couple of weeks ago. I was really excited when he recognized that I was wearing a pump because no one here knows what it is. I instinctively recruited him for the DASKN and we've been hanging out since. John Carlo was invited on a sailing trip over to Nevis the other day that he let me tag along on. We went to a millwork factory and had a nice lunch over there. It was a really nice day and I met a lot of nice people.



No comments:

Post a Comment