Monday, July 5, 2010

Every path leads somewhere

A good friend recently told me that no matter what you decide, things will work out. I have always been a planner at heart, constantly making lists and schedules. But I've learnt that sometimes, you just need to let life come to you.

One of the Peace Corps goals is to educate Americans back home about our host country. I'm not going to lie, that is not even a part of why I joined the Peace Corps. But it has, unintentionally, become a part of the work I do. I am enrolled in WWS (World Wise School) [Side note: I love how the meaning of acronyms are what go in paranthesis for me, gotta love the PC and its many acronyms] which is basically a program that connects PCVs with a public school back home to teach the kids about our host country. Aside from that, I often find myself explaining why the "Beach Corps" stigma really isn't fair.

I cringe when I hear people saying ignorant and ethno-centric things. It's hard having a sister who thinks there is a place called 'Peruvia'. Lately I've met tourists who have been extremely surprised to find out that the Peace Corps serves here. One of our volunteers was wearing a PC shirt and a man asked her if there really were volunteers here. When she confirmed he said "Man my son got screwed over". One of his sons was apparently posted in Mali (still a tourist destination if you ask me!). Another girl thought that I was beyond lucky, and in her defense I was sitting at a spot where she was on vacation. But she then went on to describe how incredibly nice the island is. Don't get me wrong, I love it here. But she was only here for a day at most, and hadn't left the Southern Peninsula (the Beverly Hills of St. Kitts). Most tourists here don't ever see beyond the airconditioned resorts and sandy beaches. They never see the crime & violence, the poverty, the extreme disparity between one side of the island and the other. They don't see my neighbors. You don't recognize a person's faults until you really get to know them. It's exactly the same for St. Kitts.

Bird Rock Beach, my favorite so far =)

Some of the ladies enjoying the fireworks

On the complete flip side, I AM extremely blessed to be here. Not just because its a tropical Caribbean island, but because of the wonderful friends I've made and the experiences and opportunities I've had. Ironically, I had one of the best 4th of July celebrations here. The volunteers had a BBQ at one of our favorite beaches here with great food and even better company. JC managed to get some fireworks, and I even got to light a couple (I am very easily entertained and had a blast with that!) And then we went over to the Shiggidy Shack and watched proper fireworks over there. It was the closest I've ever been to fireworks (probably not the safest thing) and we were practically right underneath them. It was another example of an absolutely wonderful day in my life here.

David, JC and Geoff trying to light up multiple fireworks simultaneously. They totally failed and we had to enjoy them one by one instead. Oh well, they lasted longer that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment