Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Opposite Desires

It's been almost a year since I came to the island. Sometimes it shocks me how much I've changed, and other times it shocks me how much I haven't. Lines are clearly drawn, then blurred. Friends have let me down and picked me up. I've wanted to quit and live here forever all in the same day. I have a beautiful network of friends and 'family' here, but I miss my family back home. And I need them both the same.

There's a difference between just going with the flow, and letting life happen in my opinion. I am a planner at heart, but I've learnt that you have to be open to other possibilities. I'm not saying you should always expect to be disappointed. Things may not work out the way you want, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for the better. I'm excited to go back home, but at the same time, I don't want to leave my life here for so long and cut into my experience here. For a planner, I've always hated making decisions.




I think I've been giving my first visitor a balance of the local vs tourist experience. We went ziplining and on a full island tour. We spent a lazy rainy sunday bumming it and working/reading from home. I took her on a tour of a plantation and hiking up the volcano. She has seen how my week seemed to be totally free if you asked me on Friday but I now have a lot of meetings scheduled. She has been dragged along to multiple meetings throughout the day and had the joy of going to the Dominica boat Monday market. She even got to experience the rain right after putting the laundry out to dry. Time flies real quick. I'm referring to both my time here so far, and the fact that Mommy's trip is almost at an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment