Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Api

Normally I really dislike the term 'Api', which is a respectful term for older sister in Urdu. I prefer to be called 'Baji' instead. But for some reason, when the Saba girls called me Api throughout the day, my heart melted. I spent Sunday with them, giving them the donated games and toys I organized at our house the other day. The smallest things made them smile and they said 'Thank you Api' every two seconds. Ok, I exaggerate, but you get my point. I then helped them with some of their homework, while the Apna TV station recorded the girls through different parts of their day. They decided to interview me as well, because they thought it was interesting that I'm here all the way from the states. I taught them how to play Go Fish, and then they insisted I read from an english story book before namaaz. It was hillarious because they wanted me to read it in English and then translate to Urdu, which I was having difficulty with which, one of the girls had no qualms about pointing out. Its an absolutely wonderful feeling to have these girls hug you and want to sit in your lap and ask you not to leave. But it makes me feel horrible when I walk away, because its almost worse to give them time and then leave them and not actually stay and make a substantial difference in their lives. So I feel guilty for just coming and going and not doing more.


This is our youngest girl, Qayanaat. I have yet to see her without an adorable shy smile on her face. She was wearing a veil and angel wings this day. So far I've only learnt the names of a few of the girls: Nida is oldest, Qayanaat the youngest, then there's Iqra (which I think is an absolutely beautiful name) and Rida. iA I'll learn the rest soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment