Friday, January 28, 2011

Transforming lives

I was able meet some of the board members of the Imran Khan Foundation (IKF) a couple of weeks ago, and decided to officially begin an internship with them while I'm here.

http://www.imrankhanfoundation.org.pk/

I love this organization. The structure, their work, what they stand for. Transforming lives, thats the motto =) In recent times, they have shifted their focus specifically on the aftermath of the flood. Some of the current projects include a seed distribution program, the youth mobilization efforts, and village development plans.

Combining the New Seeds for Hope Campaign and the Youth Mobilization Program, the IKF is organizing an event using their sports platform. In the aftermath of the devastating floods in July 2010, IKF launched a Seed Donation Drive through schools across the country. School children are informed about the need to revive the livelihoods of farmers who had lost their standing crops along with their seed stock for the next season. This not only affects the farmers themselves but severely compromises the food security of the entire country. The children are given donation booklets, containing 10 coupons sold for Rs. 200 each. One donation booklet of Rs. 2000 buys a bag of wheat seeds that translates into 15000 pieces of roti.

While the biggest motivating factor was their contribution in ensuring the supply of bread for their countrymen, the participating children are given an extra motivation to sell the most booklets through the celebrity cricket match scheduled to take place in Lahore. The highest achievers, that is the children who sell the most booklets, will be able to serve as substitutes and actually play with the stars such as Imran Khan himself (playing after 18 years), Wasim Akram, etc. 

Which brings me to how I ended up driving to Lahore on Wednesday to help with the event planning. So I've spent the past couple of days at the IKF headquarters in Lahore, and I absolutely love it. I'm pretty darn sure that this is the organiation I want the funds from my non-profit bakery to go towards one day, iA. I attended an Organization Committee meeting for the cricket match where a lot of issues were discussed, including accreditation and sponsorship levels, etc. So right now, I'm working closely with some of the board members and the New Seeds for Hope campaign team.

On another note, since my short time in Pakistan so far, there has already been an assassination, 2 earthquakes, 2 bomb blasts and a shooting here in Lahore yesterday. Not cute =(

No comments:

Post a Comment