Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cookies =)



I promised the girls I would come over and teach them how to bake cookies. And for some reason, I haven't been able to find time to do it until now. I made the cookie dough ahead of time (because teaching them all how to mix the ingredients together would have been a little difficult) and froze it. Then I split the dough into pieces. I worked with two groups so that it was a little easier than having all 30 girls in the kitchen at the same time. The girls then took turns rolling out the dough, cutting shapes out with the cookie cutters I took, and placing them on the baking sheets. Some of them were assigned the task of watching the cookies to make sure they didn't burn (unfortunately, we still lost 2 cookies because they were rolled out too thin compared to the rest so they were burnt to a crisp). While they baked, some of the girls helped making the icing and arranging the sprinkles. As each batch came out, they took turns decorating them with icing and sprinkles. 






The girls also took my camera captive, hence some crazy tilted pictures. All in all, we made over 100 cookies. It was hard trying to make sure everyone got a turn at everything because the girls got so excited they wanted to make every shape possible, but there wasn't enough dough to let every girl make as many cookies as they wanted. After we rolled out the dough, cut out shapes, baked the cookies, iced and sprinkled the cookies, the girls were disappointed when I told them that was it and they could eat them now! They wanted to stay baking in the kitchen =)





As usual, the girls thanked me profusely saying 'Thank you Api' over and over again. It was wonderful to see how much fun the girls had and actually be a part of it. And I feel bad that I won't be spending any more time with them. But its been a really good experience being able to contribute a little to the Saba Homes, even if it was only for a short time. And hopefully I'll be able to visit the girls again some day.




No comments:

Post a Comment