Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Home sweet Home

Home is where the heart is, and my heart will always be with my parents. After high school, I left to go study in DC. Then there was work, and the Peace Corps. I never stopped to think about when I would be living with my parents again at that point. But its absolutely wonderful to be 'home' again. To be with my family.

That being said, this might be the first time I'm really sad to leave Pakistan. First off, I miss my Baboo Khala. I miss coming downstairs and having breakfast with her, coming home to share little things about my day with her and going out for lunch and coffee randomly. I miss the view of Margalla Hills from my bedroom. I miss seeing and hearing all the hulla-gulla associated with the world cup excitement. I actually miss hearing Haris practice guitar in the next room. The drive to the office in Chak Shehzad, even the smell of livestock out there. Thinking in urdu and drinking chai. Wearing shalwar kameez so I couldn't tell that I've gained a bunch of weight on all the naan I've been eating. Checking out new places to eat with Mariam and hanging out like we've known each other forever. Seasonal food and fruit sold on carts in the streets (roasted corn, fresh fish, strawberries). I miss being able to wear a dupatta on my head when I wanted to be conservative and shield myself from glances without looking weird. And I miss the feeling of being there to help in my home, and with my people.

It's been a great experience. I got to work with some really awesome people and some really good projects. I was able to help organize and coordinate a couple of events both in Lahore and Islamabad. And I laid out the groundwork for a Summer Village Development program. I created the necessary partnerships and collaborations for the program with its basic overview and set up meetings with the necessary organizers. And I got to volunteer with the girls.

Even though I miss it, I'm ready to leave. Ever since I left the Peace Corps, I've been on the road. I'm still on the road, but I'm one step closer to being back home in Orange County permanently. Or relatively permanently. Now that my relief work is kind of over, I don't think I'll be writing in this as much. I'll always be getting involved in projects, so I will be writing. Just not the same way.

Over and out.

1 comment: