Saturday, February 6, 2010

Let the games continue

Elections are finally over. Labour (the party that was in power before) won. There were some riots, gun shots and what not. But things have finally settled down and work is starting to pick up.

I have become a member of the St. Kitts Sea Turtle Monitoring Network (SKSTMN). I have to take courses before starting night patrols in April with topics such as: Sea Turtle Biology and St. Kitts Species, Data Collection and Reporting, Regulations and Emergency Protocols, and Leatherback Ecotourism. Leatherback sea turtles are endangered, and their nesting season begins soon. The turtle project has official patrols and I will have a legal permit with an I.D. badge and everything after taking the courses and start patroling =) Scheduling is still in the works but I'll probably end up patrolling two nights a week during the season.

March 1st is the official Peace Corps Day. This is our 49th anniversary =) Which also means that next year is the big 50. In preparation for the bigger deal we want to make out of next year, we are having a trial run celebration event in Independence Square this year. And then another event in Nevis on the 26th. We have a committee made up of half EC-78ers and the other half EC-80ers shadowing them so that were prepared for next year. I am with working with Geoff on logistics and media. I have a lot of different ideas for both this year and next, but actual implementation is going to be an issue. As I've been learning slowly, getting things done here is always easier said than done.

My ghetto little fridge here has been a real nuisance. Whatever makes the door close and stick has a mind of its own and decides to work when and if it wants. Which means that I wake up to my fridge having been open all night. I thought I solved the problem by always taping it shut. But the tape decides to become unsticky when I least expect it. I change the tape every other day just to be safe, but I still woke up to an open fridge with ants crawling inside this morning =( I either need stronger tape, or something more permanent because it was not cute.

2 comments:

  1. Use duct tape,it is stronger than an ordinary tape.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a bungee cord or two? :)

    ReplyDelete