Monday, April 5, 2010

1/3rd of our population and all of our future

Children. As most of you know, one of the issues I am the most passionate about is human rights. In particular, those of children. So when I found out that Tasha was working with the Children's Home of SKN, I was really excited at the chance to get involved. The home is basically a shelter for abandoned orphans under the age of 18 with no where else to go. Since Tasha was elected on the board, she is requesting me as an official PCV to work with them. We've talked about some possible projects, including a mentorship program in collaboration with SOS, and a transitional home for the kids when they have to leave. The home can use some institutional strengthening and capacity building, which is where I come in =) I feel really good about being able to help them out (fingers crossed!)

I'm also feeling really good about my networking skills, because I was able to introduce Tasha to Deborah Cool, one of the most resourceful and productive women I have ever met. Thanks to Deb, we have US$350 million to start a children's hospital in the federation =) And we are going to be able to build a Diabetes Management Center as a part of the hospital. AND Tasha is hopefully going to be able to do her work as an animal assistance therapist at the hospital! Hopefully we will be able to turn it into a teaching hospital, and I can't wait to see how this progresses. This past thursday, we had what was supposed to be a DASKN meeting (the website- http://www.daskn.org/ is up and running now!), but it ended up being a really awesome session with Tasha, Deb, George and myself discussing the Children's Home, hospital and fundraising ideas.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today".

2 comments:

  1. Six essential qualities are the key to success: sincerity, personal integrity, humility, courtesy, wisdom and charity. When we find ourselves in the company of such people, it is easy to be inspired and encouraged. You are one such person Saira! Thank you for your friendship, your willingness to help and let's not forget - those fabulous chunks of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Tasha you are too sweet =)
    It takes one to know one, and I can easily say you are the one doing the encouraging and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete