Friday, May 7, 2010

180 degrees

No it's not a baking pun. What I mean is the 180 degrees turn it feels like my life took with my visit to and back from home. Yes, I've finally decided that I have many homes away from home, but California is where my heart really is. I missed St. Kitts dearly while I was gone, my parents home and the high school years spent in Kuwait, my college days in DC, my getaway in Ashburn... all places I feel completely at home. But the only place I can imagine getting old is in good old Southern California.

Back to my 180. From the NBA to the ICC, from sushi to yucky cookup, from driving through 5 lane highways to reckless buses and uphill hikes home, from chilly nights wrapped in blankets to multiple cold showers and fans. But oddly enough, the things I thought I missed the most about home, I missed while I was there. I rubbed my feet back and forth through the soft carpet, blasted MY music in the car while driving, drank endless amounts of milk and OJ, and took long hot showers. But when its out of sight, its out of mind. I forget the feel of carpet, the taste of OJ and the power of the accelerator under my feet when I'm here. But when I was home I actually longed for the sound of the damn rooster at night. For a few moments, I was lost when I had to put the car in drive and figure out where I was going instead of just hopping on the bus. I got scared when I walked into the huge mall and left as soon as I could because I was so overwhelmed. I actually converted everything back into EC to figure out how much I was spending!

When I stepped off the plane in St. Kitts, the wave of heat hit me hard, along with the reality of my life here. When we drove up to my house, the little girl who lives across the street actually jumped up and down in her excitement to see me which made my heart smile. The next day I ran inside my house halfway through hanging clothes to dry because there was a monkey stealing mangoes from my yard. Then Margaret told me how dearly she had missed me at the DASKN meetings during my absence. And I experienced some disturbing cultural differences involving a two year old getting drunk on jello shots. Then I had my breath stolen from me on a drive further into the 'country' as I took in the gorgeous view while the sunset. Point being, I've had both ups and downs in less than a week since my return. And they all culminate my PC experience that I wouldn't trade anything in the world for.

No comments:

Post a Comment