Thursday, May 13, 2010

ICC

One of the main sports played here in St. Kitts is cricket, and the ICC Twenty20 women's matches were held at Warner Park this year (the venue for the 2007 World Cup). Being from Pakistan originally and having an avid cricket follower for a father, I have an advantage over the other volunteers here in that I actually understand the game (or so I think). My counterpart with SOS; Val Henry, is the ICC event manager over here. Before I could even ask, he signed me up to be a volunteer for the matches when I first arrived on island. So my first week back I was working at the accreditation center, meaning we made sure everyone had the appropriate clearances and badges, etc. It was really slow since I came back during the actual matches and most approvals and clearances had already been taken care of the week before.

Some of the volunteers at the accreditation center

One of the volunteers adorable baby, she has the most gorgeous eyes ever!

But Saturday was the Pakistan vs. India match which I wanted to actually watch. So I convinced Kim, Geoff, Patty and Tasha to join me. It was really hot with the sun beating down on us earlier in the morning, but the weather quickly changed its mind and hit us with a downpour of rain. Sadly I think I was the only Pakistani fan, I even wore green and white to represent and got excited when they started playing 'dil dil Pakistan'. Which I didn't realized they play at all games.

Steel band at the park taking a break

Closing ceremonies at the park on Monday after the last game being played in St. Kitts for this series
Getting my volunteer shirt signed by Deandra Dottin

"Deandra Dottin made history when she became the first woman to score an international T20 hundred, when she smashed an unbeaten 112 against South Africa in St Kitts during the 2010 World Twenty20. She reached her century off just 38 balls. The hard-hitting young batsman from Barbados was first included in West Indies' tour of Europe. She is also a handy athlete, excelling in the javelin, shot put and discus."

No comments:

Post a Comment