Monday, January 18, 2010

Elections & more

It's election time here on the island. We barely made it out of the Carnival season of un-productivity only to be launched into another one. Which might be good since you just get it all out the way together. But basically the new excuse to not work now is elections and political rallies until January 25th. Apparently the 26th is an 'official' holiday and we shouldn't expect anything to be open. The political campaigning has been going on since I've been here (and since the last group of volunteers got here too, so we can't wait for it to be over finally). But we don't know if things are going to change because of a possible change in political parties, so people don't really know how to go about things. And if they don't know, how am I expected to? Although I suppose that's part of why I'm here.

As I'm sure everyone knows, Haiti was hit with an insanely horrible earthquake. People that haven't thought about me for ages remember that I am in the Caribbean and have decided to check up on me now. I'm fine. We didn't even feel the quake over here thankfully. But I won't lie, being near so many natural disasters, ranging from volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and hurricanes is a little disconcerting sometimes. A local Rasta man predicts a tsunami here before 2012. He's predicted all the volcanic eruptions so far. But I think I'm going to choose to believe he's wrong.  

Some things that I've learnt are purely Kittitian:
  • You say "Me Am/Me Arm!" when surprised 
  • A van is called a bus 
  • You say "Meaino" when you don't know something 
  • All cereal is corn flakes 
  • Instead of saying "I thought I saw you" you say "Ah tek a man fuh you" 
  • You don't go anywhere or do anything if it's raining 
  • You go to the bay, not the beach 
  • You say "Alright alright" or "I cool I cool" when someone asks how you are 
  • If someone honks at you, its a greeting not asking you to get out of the way
  • A ghost is a 'jumbie'
  • Instead of asking for a ride you "beg a lif" 
  • 'Liming' is hanging out 
  • You suck your teeth when you disapprove of something (aka- stroopsing)
How integrated do I want to become? The main thing they stressed in Peace Corps training was integration. It is an essential part of the Peace Corps experience; but it's equally tricky. I have set aside personal barriers and nuances in the effort to better integrate myself. I let sweaty smelly people press tightly against me on the buses and hold my breath while the drivers accelerate at breakneck speed. I don't stare at women openly breastfeeding. I hold back tears when I see mother's slap their children along the streets. I pretend it doesn't hurt my feelings when I'm told I've gotten fat because it's a compliment here. I walk slower and talk faster. But where do I draw the line? In the name of integration, should I allow men to disrespect me? Should I hate gay people? Discriminate against people with medical conditions? The Peace Corps talks so much about how we're supposed to be like the locals. But what part of me do I keep?  

No comments:

Post a Comment