Thursday, January 7, 2010

Never go to bed angry

I think I’m developing a fear of dogs. Ever since being chased by those neighborhood dogs, I start walking faster whenever I see them. While on my walk through the neighborhood today there were wild cows in one direction, and some neighborhood dogs in the other. I actually chose to go towards the cows. In all seriousness, every night I go to sleep hearing the dogs barking ferociously at each other, and I swear sometimes it sounds like they are in horrible dog fights and one of them is dying.

For the first time in my life I am a lower class citizen. Sure, growing up we weren’t always as comfortable as we have been blessed to be in more recent times. But we never felt like we had less than anyone else. I never really felt like I couldn’t afford something. I've never felt true need. You come into the Peace Corps with the intention of learning how to live off of minimum wage, and how to modestly conduct yourself for the next two years, always thinking about what you DON’T have- anymore. When in reality, this isn’t just about learning how to live without things; it’s about realizing and appreciating how much we DO have. So I might have to deal with inefficient utility companies for the next two years, but I will go home to electronic billing from the comfort of my own home. But the people here will still be sitting and waiting at the electricity company until one of the clerks decides to have time for them.

A good friend of mine and his brother back home were recently in a really bad car accident. He is doing OK thankfully, but his brother is in pretty bad condition. We really have no idea what to expect on a daily basis. Absolutely anything could happen to anyone of us, not to be morbid or dramatic. And it just makes you think about how you should live your life to the fullest every day. Make sure all your loved ones know how you feel; never ever go to bed angry. It's just another example of how we don't appreciate what we have, and always look at what's missing. When instead, we should be thankful for all that we do have instead of waiting for when it's gone to realize what we had. Please pray for my friend and his brother.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you wrote, its is true we never know what will happen tomorrow, instead of thanking Allah for all he has given us we go around searching for things that we dont have....
    anyways.... i miss you doll!!!
    xoxo
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete