Friday, November 6, 2009

Constitutions and Menus

At the end of all this, I will be an expert on writing constitutions, registering NGO's and understanding all the legalities of organizations. Constitutions, mission statements, by-laws, articles of incorporation... you name it, I'm on it. Getting organizations an official 501c status is no easy task. Especially here, where most people give me a blank look when I mention it.

I'm a little bummed. I was offered a position as the liaison for the Pakistan Cricket team when they come here in May for the ICC West Indies twenty20 matches. BUT as a Peace Corps volunteer, I'm not allowed to drive and won't have the required personal vehicle necessary for the position. The next offer was as the teams personal attendant while in the stadium grounds. Can't accept that either because it involves a stipend, and as PCV's we aren't allowed to accept payment for any services rendered. So I've demoted myself to a regular old volunteer. Not sure what I'll be doing yet. I did get to see England's Womens team practicing the other day at Warner Stadium (where the World Cup was held in 2007).

The highlight of my day: when my 5th grader neighbor across the street came running to hug me at school today. She waves and calls out to me from her window every time I pass by =) However, school was frustrating today. I feel really lost with these boys. Remedial reading is not my forte. Only one of my boys is making any progress and I don't think it has anything to do with me. The others don't even look at the words sometimes. They see a letter and guess what word it is most of the times. I'm scared I'm going to get frustrated and give up...

Michele heard me on the radio the other day, and I was updating her on my work with the Diabetes Association today. I told her how I'm going to be presenting at the High School, will be on a live TV show, wrote a newspaper article being published in all the papers this coming week, etc. She said she was really surprised because she never would have expected this sort of thing from me. She said her impressions had been that I was a really quiet and shy person. And she's kind of right. If you had asked me to be a part of panel discussions, be on the radio, give speeches and presentations before, I would have laughed at you. I'm normally more of a behind the scenes kind of person. But I also have a problem saying no, and I haven't said no to any projects or assignments requested of me so far. So aside from the valuable professional development I'm receiving, the PC is doing a lot for me on a personal level as well.

Thanksgiving is going to be amazing. We've been planning the menu (what Julie Ann and I are the most excited about!) for a while. I think I've updated it practically everyday since the planning began. When you see pictures, you will be jealous. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

  1. Remedial reading can be frustrating. I just don't know what to do when a student comes to a word he/she doesn't know, for example "we", and then they just start guessing, blurting out words which come no where close to "we" like "here, help, down, come, me not know." "What sound does 'w' make?" "Wuh" "What does this word say?" "dog" -me mentally banging my head against the wall.
    -T in SVG

    ReplyDelete