Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving

After over a month of intense planning, we had our Thanksgiving feast on Thursday. It was a great success =) I think I showered about 5 times because as you can see, a whole day in a kitchen with two ovens and stoves running filled with volunteers can get a little more than stuffy and yucky.




This was only one of the three counter tops worth filled with food.



Main Courses
- Turkey
- Glazed ham
- Breadfruit curry
- Lasagna x 2
- Green bean casserole
- Whole wheat pasta & green vegetable casserole

Side Dishes

- Coconut brown rice
- Stuffing
- Mashed sweet potatoes w/pecans & brown sugar  
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Fried okra
- Lumpia - Filipino spring rolls
- Buttermilk biscuits 
- Cranberry Sauce 
-Cornbread Muffins 
- Guacamole w/breadfruit/plaintain chips
- Green fig tater tots
- Egg and Tomato dish
- Squash and onions
- Kale
- Gravy

I'm pretty sure there were additions that I didn't add in there, because there was some soup like thing and a couple of pasta dishes in there too.

 
 Everyone enjoying the yummy food =)

 

 
 And then my favorite part of course:

Dessert
- Cheesecake x 2
- Pumpkin pie x 2
- Banana Guava pie
- Coconut Pecan cookies
- Swedish Apple cake
- Passion Fruit cake
- Apple Cranberry Crisp
-Starfruit

 
 They were pretty excited to get started on the dessert

 
As were Julie Ann and I

After a hard days work, it was all totally worth it. Ironically I've never really celebrated Thanksgiving on such a big scale back in the states. But this is also the most I've been around people who do celebrate. I think all the planning paid off because we were paid one of the nicest compliments here by being told that it was 'Better than the Marriott', which is saying a lot over here =) That being said, I definitely don't think I'll be taking on half as much next year. I was in charge of practically all of the desserts, made the breadfruit and helped with quite a few of the side dishes as well. I had been prepping for over a week, having frozen the cookie and pie dough well in advance, along with baking and chilling the cheesecakes beforehand and having cooked the breadfruit curry the day before. I'm an overachiever, what can I say... 

No comments:

Post a Comment