Saturday, September 5, 2009

A brand new day

Videta took me to the 'strip' last night. It's basically a row of bars and pubs at the beach on the south side of the island. She's a very proud Kittitian and took me to see the Marriott hotel first, I think to show me how they have such huge developments, and also because she used to work there. Now I've seen quite a few Marriott's in my life, and this was by far the biggest one I've been in. Huge. But I didn't really like it. Give me a cozy bed and breakfast on the beach any day over the standard huge hotels that all look the same on the inside. After that we went to the strip, which was a little awkward. Neither of us was drinking obviously (Vi's friend had a couple of beers), but it was too loud to really talk. So we pretty much sat at the bar with our grapefruit soda's and people watched. Some of the other PCV's were there, but I didn't really want to leave Vi since she had especially brought me. But I don't drink and I don't dance, so the pub/bar/club scene just isn't my thing. And the whole time I was there I kept thinking, it's Ramadan, and instead of being at Taraweeh, I'm at a bar on the beach in the name of cultural interaction? It's not like I was doing anything wrong, but I still felt weird.

I'm glad I saw it, I know what it is and where, but it's not someplace I'll be going. I'd be much happier liming on the front porch, thank you very much.

Today I went to Alisa's house because it's our consolidation point in case of a hurricane. Her house is in a hilly area on a slope, so half of it is underground and safe. It's really really close to me too and once you've been there, very easy to get to. I actually really really like her place. It's very simple, and open and clean. I loved it. We sat and talked for a good while, which was actually really nice.

Walking home today there was the usual group of men liming at the corner. But there were a couple of men I didn't recognize and one man started coming towards me saying 'excuse me miss' and beckoned for me to come closer. Not wanting to be completely rude, and following the advice we got during our S&S sessions, I acknowledged him but never stopped walking. He started following me a little, and I got a little scared and started walking faster. He kept telling me to come over and saying 'miss, miss, come here'. I apologized and said I had to get home and started walking faster. He sort of followed me for a little but realized that I wasn't going to give him any attention and stopped and went back to his friends. I got scared for a little bit, but I think I handled it well.

Random: I got on the bus without having to ask where it was going first today =)

At the volunteer panel yesterday, everyone was saying not to worry about not getting things done in the beginning and to take things slow, but at least right now I really don't feel like getting bored with lack of work is going to be an issue for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment