Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cayon Primary

I had my first school attachment today. Today we just had to observe and take notes. I was put on the spot though when this adorable 5th grade boy asked me what the Peace Corps was. Caught off guard, I told him we were volunteer's from the U.S. here to help them out, and that we all had to work at a school and this was mine. He gave me the biggest smile after that. During assembly they read a biblical passage referring to being 'peace makers' so another boy asked me what a peace maker is. I guess PCV's are 'peace makers'.

It was actually a very productive day, the children are adorable with so much potential. But the greatest problem I saw was the reading level of the children. After speaking to a lot of the teachers I think the two things I would really like to help the school out with are an after school reading program along with organization of the PTA.

 
I made a new friend: Emily the crossing guard/traffic police. She's very very sweet =) Also, the chocolate cake I baked yesterday is already gone =) The girls gobbled it up today, even Lavi had a couple of slices (and she doesn't like chocolate!) and one of Vi's friends that came over today said that the cake gave him goosebumps and that I should be out on the corner selling this stuff. Vi's niece asked me if I was going to be here next year because she wants me to make her birthday cake =) Oh, and I FINALLY opened my bank account today! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment