Thursday, September 3, 2009

SOS- Shaping our Society

Today I met with some of the executive members of SOS- 'Shaping our Society', the main NGO I will be working with for the next two years. I left early, just in case I had to wait long for the unreliable timing of the buses. So I sat on a bench in independence square near the cathedral and read my book. The meeting was casual; at the Caribe Cafe in the city with a nice view of the water. They were all extremely friendly and nice. Basically, the organization had its re-inauguration this past June and they are trying to get back on track after a fading out, and want help with capacity building etc. They told me a little about themselves, about how the organization is set up, what some of their goals are etc.

Val, one of the original founders of SOS works in a lot of event management and was in charge of the Cricket World Cup that was held in St. Kitts in 2007. He will also be working on the ICC cricket matches to be held here in 2010, and it looks like I will get to work with him on it =)

I already feel like I'm learning the ropes. I already ran into someone I knew (a local) on the bus! And I said 'stay here' for the first time today too. Every conversation I have I think of potential projects to start. I actually look forward to waking up every morning whether it's to go to training or for errands in town or a meeting. I can see myself becoming one of the volunteers who doesn't want to leave when her two years are up...

No comments:

Post a Comment